Tuesday, May 26, 2009

FOLKS


I was in Williams, AZ for the entire Memorial Day weekend. We took the train from Williams to the Grand Canyon. The 2 hour train ride was fun for about 25 minutes, then it got hella long. A pig tailed, freckled faced cart attendant was responsible for making the trip fun and active. We sang, told jokes (real bad ones like knock knocks), guessed riddles, were robbed by some really bad train robber actors (they actually took money, tips), and yelled out "Elk!" every time we saw a few. On the way to the Grand Canyon all this was ok but on our way back, when we were all tired and sleepy, well let's just say we weren't thrilled to hear "She'll be coming around the mountain" with guitar and harmonica right next to your ear. Suffice it to say, the country air was nice but next time I think we'll just drive to the Canyon.


Besides the bad jokes, and cowboy hats, the other thing that was in ample supply was the word folks. "Howdy folks!" "Where you folks from?" "Folks y'all better hang on to your boots........" Everywhere you went there was folks just ready to greet you, warn you, ask you, and mosey you down to wherever. Geez!


Yet, we had a great ol' time. Besides all the folks, the folks in Williams, AZ are really nice people. If you ever find yourself there check out the ice cream parlor called Twisted Sister. Great sundaes and floats! It was rainy and cold, but the ice cream was great! Y'all folks come back and see us, ya hear.

4 comments:

  1. Ahhh, the good ol' 'folks'. Nice little southwestern (and midwestern too I think) charm it has, until it is overused like the staff on the train you took. It also reminds me quite a bit of the older generation where I might consider my parents and my grandparents as "folks", but certainly not my husband and me and our peers.

    Yes, driving to Grand Canyon isn't bad which was what we did last September. You can break anytime you want, sans annoying actors and singers on a train.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a lot of fun in AZ, is it really hot and humid down there?
    I heard there are alot of catus around the dessert area..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Th-, th-, th- ... that's all folks! (Couldn't resist).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I use the word "folks" a lot. Must make me a MidWesterner.

    ReplyDelete