Thursday, May 21, 2009

Whatever!


Ok, I don't actually dislike the overuse of this word. I don't know if it's because I'm a native Valley girl and like to give a Valley girl spin on it, a short WHAT and long EVERRRRRRRRRRRRR, but the fact is I use it more than my husband would like. I really don't think I overuse it, but whatever!


This got me to thinking of Valley words I used to say a lot. These words or phrases were not created by Valley girls. We just put an annoying little spin on them when pronouncing. Hearing a teenage Valley girl speak is the most annoying thing. I'd like to apologize to my high school teachers for the daily torture. Here are some of my favorites:

Like ( Like totally, like for sure, like oh my God, like peachy keen, like yeah right, like as if) This is actually a fabulous word. It goes like with everything, you know? (the question mark here is just me trying to preserve the grammatical form, but no one really cared about a proper question tags.)
You know?
Totally
For Sure
Oh my God
Peachy keen
Yeah right
As if

For those of you wondering, when I write Valley I'm referring to the San Fernando Valley. There is only one Valley. Anything else is a wannabe, never will be.
image: www.j00wish.com




5 comments:

  1. So it really is true! Growing up on the East Coast, I always loved and was fascinated by movies about the Valley. It seemed like another planet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, like I don't know how I just deleted my own comment. Like what ever! Anyway now I totally have the Moon Unit Zappa song stuck in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It drives me freakin' crazy when people say "like" in every other word of their utterances. Why can't people just think about what they are going to say before saying it, instead of throwing out "like" so frequently as if it's worthless. To me, it almost dumbs down the individual who says this word a thousand times in a few minutes. To these people, I just want to say, "Like, here's a dollar - buy yourself a new lexicon to replace the very worn-out 'like'."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like whateverrrrr Rofucious. As if! No, I, like, totally know what you mean.

    Some years back, I worked / taught at a Concordia Language Village for the summer. It was the Waldsee German Village in Bimidji, Minnesota, home of the mythic Paul Bunyan and his sidekick Babe the Blue Ox. Back to the point, the kids at camp and all the counselors did their best to speak German day in and day out. One of the kids' favorite words in English, Valley Kid Wannabes from the Midwest that they were, was whateverrrrr. Translated into German, it's "Was auch immer." Not sure if you'd write that as one word or not, but you get the point. I still have a good laugh about that!

    ReplyDelete